It’s that time again, the release of a new console. This means advanced technology, innovative gameplay elements and exciting new videogames. With each new console generation, gamers expect fresh releases of their favorite franchises alongside new IP’s. Nintendo’s Wii U will continue this tradition in including both as well. Here are our top three picks for must have titles at the Wii U launch.
1. New Super Mario Bros. U
This was a no brainer. It just wouldn’t be a Nintendo launch without a new Mario title. New Super Mario Bros. U is a exciting new, side-scrolling adventure featuring Mario, Luigi, Toad … and your Mii character. Now’s your chance to step inside the Mushroom Kingdom and explore new worlds, new power-ups and new ways to play!
• Swoop through levels and cling to walls when Mario transforms into Flying Squirrel Mario, or gently float through the air while hanging onto Tiny Balloon Yoshi.
• The Wii U GamePad controller offers a new way to play multiplayer in this game. An extra player can jump into the action using the new Boost mode, creating platforms out of thin air to help others navigate tricky stages or access hidden or hard-to-reach items.
• Boost mode also makes cooperative speed runs possible for the first time. Use the GamePad to interact with and manipulate enemies and objects in real time, allowing for new ways to find the fastest routes through each level.
• Play on the big screen or the small screen. Switch game play from the TV to the GamePad at any time to continue playing even when others are using the TV.
• Experience Mario together like never before with Miiverse. See other players’ comments and accomplishments while you play and leave your own feedback for others to see when connected to the Nintendo Network.
Zombie related games and shows are taking over the entertainment industry right now. Nintendo and Ubisoft plan on capitalizing on this with ZombiU. The game takes place in London, England during a horrifying zombie outbreak. London is falling!
For the second time in history, a great plague has enveloped London in a fog of death. Big Ben tolls as hundreds upon thousands of the unprepared die or are infected by a sickness worse than death…
You are still breathing, for now. But how long will you survive in the labyrinth of London streets and underground – abandoned by the outside world, surrounded by the Infected. The horrifying remains of humanity ravaged by the foul disease shuffle through the streets, waiting to prey on your living flesh at every turn!
ZombiU is built from the ground up to take full advantage of the Wii U and its revolutionary controller and will test your will to survive in a fear-fueled zombie Survival Horror First Person Shooter. So grab hold of the Swiss knife of survival kits – your Wii U new controller – and stock up your Bug-Out Bag with supplies! Make every second count; you only get one chance.
Two Screens, Twice the Fear – Feel the tension mount as you try to keep an eye on your TV and controller screen.
Survival Horror at its Best – Resources are in short supply while your enemies are legion; you never know when you will find more weapons, ammunition, first aid and food. Use them wisely!
The Wii U new controller becomes your Bug-Out Bag; the ultimate all-in-one survival kit for your tools, inventory, med kits, maps and more.
Unique Death Mechanic – If you die, you wake up to play an entirely new character who is another survivor in the same terrifying position. You will want to recover your old BOB, now worn by the last character you played…who is now a zombie!
Horde at your Door – Prepare yourself for the inevitable onslaught. Stock up on guns, ammo and supplies, and lock down your Safe House! It’s time to defend your home against the ravenous, infected horde!
Survivors vs Zombies – An adversarial multiplayer mode where one player takes over the role of Zombie Master (top-down view) spawns enemies and springs traps with a simple touch on the Wii U new controller; while a second player (first-person view) fights for survival with the Classic Controller!
Mercy Killer – When your character gets infected, your online friends are alerted of your death and can come and hunt down your zombified character to loot the gear in your BOB and put you out of your misery!
A city steeped in grisly history, royal secrets and bloody tales, where the medieval fortress of the Tower of London and the stately Buckingham Palace contrast with the modernity of the world’s most cosmopolitan city!
3. Pikmin 3
Pikmin is a 3D, top-down based strategy game. With over an 8 years absence from the gaming scene, the third entry has been highly anticipated by many. Pikmin 3 is a fully reimagined, mass-action title. Players will discover a beautiful world filled with strange creatures and take command of a swarm of ant-like Pikmin trying to survive. The world is densely packed with treasures and enemies, which makes the game much more action focused and fills it with layers of potential strategies and paths, adding greater replayability to challenge modes.
• Players can play using Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk-based controls or the Wii U GamePad controller. With new intuitive controls that make it possible to aim at objects directly, players can command their tiny, yet powerful, squads in different
• The GamePad acts as an overhead map and radar to track Pikmin movements in real time. Players can slide a finger across the touch screen to quickly switch between areas, giving greater flexibility in commanding multiple groups of
• The greater processing and HD capabilities of the Wii U console are put to extensive use, resulting in a more intricately designed world, enhanced ant-like movement of the Pikmin and precisely detailed overhead views for enabling easier strategic use of the Pikmin.
• After completing a stage, the replay feature allows players the option to review their results using the GamePad and TV. Fast-forward, rewind or pause while assessing the previous mission to decide on other paths.
• In addition to the five original types of Pikmin encountered in previous games, the new Rock Pikmin bring powerful new abilities and are able to crack hard outer shells of enemies and break through solid barriers.
• Mission Mode challenges players to earn the most treasure in a given time.