The Amazing Spider-Man swings onto the Wii U and offers gamers relief from the recent title drought that Nintendo’s latest console is presently in. Marvel’s superhero is in good hands under the talented devs at Beenox responsible for Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions and Spider-Man: Edge of Time. So is this the best Spider-Man yet?
The Amazing Spider-Man starts some months after the events of the film with Peter Parker and his female friend Gwen sneaking into Oscorp. It quickly becomes obvious scientific cross species research and development are still underway and chaos is all but guaranteed to be let loose yet again on the city. They are now experimenting by injecting animals with human DNA resulting in violent creations and a deadly virus as result. As players make their way through the lab the creatures react in extreme aggression towards Peter. One such creature explodes with fury in his presence breaking out from its glass enclosure and attacking all and ultimately infecting Gwen. This is when Peter breaks out the suit and goes on the defense and to the rescue Gamers will not only be fighting these viscous hybrid creatures but will also have to deal with the security robots who deem Peter as a threat. While Peter does manage to get Gwen to safety, the vile creatures still escape and the city is once again in peril.
Gamers have an open city explore in this venture and swinging from one skyscraper to the next looks and feels great. This Ultimate Edition gives our super hero much more room and makes the city he is trying to save feel that much more real. While exploring, players can fight crime, take photos and collect comic books which adds value to campaign. This great mixture of elements is a nice addition to the already exciting story in place. Controlling Spider-Man has never been easier. Whether players are on the attack or web rushing (a new feature that allows precise targeting of where you can launch to), you can count on the action being executed in brilliant fashion.
The combat is fluid and the battle scenes are well implemented. The outcome leaves players truly feeling like the super hero they are intended to be. Graphically, this Ultimate Edition shines for the most part on the Wii U and as an added bonus can be played on the GamePad. When you aren’t using your GamePad as the main screen, you’ll be treated with a map and objectives on the controller. Here you can view your current location and also purchase upgrades as you progress. Lastly, this edition also gives gamers all of the current DLC which is a fantastic bonus on top of an already terrific game.
The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Edition DLC Includes:
- Stan Lee Adventure Pack – Completely voiced by the Spider-Man creator himself, you’ll play as Stan Lee and web-sling through NYC in an amazing race across the city. Take on Spidey’s powers as you wall crawl, web rush, and swing across Manhattan to collect the missing pages of Stan “The Man’s” latest script. Collect all the pages and unlock a surprise reward!
- Lizard Rampage Pack – Take control of Dr. Connors’ terrifying alter-ego in a race against time as you rampage through the streets as Lizard to defeat Oscorp guards
- Rhino Challenge – Rampage through NYC as the unstoppable Rhino and cause as much destruction as possible before the timer runs out! The more damage you inflict, the more bonus points you earn as you build momentum ramming through taxis and cars!
- Oscorp Search and Destroy Pack – Includes 2 mini-games through Spider-Man’s in-game cell phone
- New suits, including the Vigilante suit from The Amazing Spider-Man movie and the Classic Spider-Man suit from the Raimi trilogy
- Spider-Man’s Triumphant Return to New York -Everybody’s favorite web-head is back in Manhattan with the return of the fan-favorite, free-roaming*, web-slinging gameplay.
- Web Rush: Player Choice Evolved – Players use real-time navigational and combat choices to fight crime and pull off Spidey’s signature acrobatic moves like never before.
- Find Out What Happens Next – Uncover the rest of Peter Parker’s untold story in the all-new epilogue story to the Columbia Pictures’ 2012 blockbuster theatrical release.
- Push Spider-Man’s Abilities to the Limit – Battle all-new versions of classic Super Villains as well as original, larger than life enemies – some of the biggest ever seen in a Spider-Man video game – while racing to save Manhattan.
- OsPhone Brings Wii UTM GamePad to Life – Use Spidey’s in-game cellphone through the GamePad to accept new challenges, navigate the city, and manage upgrades and experience.
- Transform the Wii U™ GamePad with the Oscorp OsPhone – Access Spidey’s in-game cell phone via the GamePad to accept new challenges, navigate the city, and manage his upgrades
- Off-screen Mode lets users swap instantly between playing on the big screen and the GamePad whenever they choose
The Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition has debuted at the right time for the Wii U. It’s a feature rich title with one of Marvels most iconic super heroes and better yet it’s packed full of free DLC and priced to move. Gamers looking for an exciting title to play on their new Nintendo system shouldn’t hesitate in adding this to their Wii U library. They’ll be rewarded with fulfilling combat, great action, sharp visuals and an impressive amount of content to complete and experience.
Review Rating: 8/10
The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Edition
Genre: 3-D Action/Sandbox