Abyss Odyssey is an action adventure game from Ace Team devs based out of Santiago, Chile. It’s the studios third game following Zeno Clash and Rock of Ages. They have once again created a unique gaming experience that offers both an interesting level design and an impressive fighting engine.
The game features three playable characters although only one is accessible at first. Each hero has their own unique abilities and strengths that can be leveled up. Gamers can pick up new weapons as they progress through each level but are only able to wield one at a time. You also have one special ability that comes in handy when overwhelmed by enemies. The beasts within the abyss vary in challenge which is notated before entering in each level. When your main character falls, you then play as a soldier who can restore your hero if they reach a shrine in time. In time, players can even take control of other enemies and use them to their advantage.
Going further down the rabbit hole introduces some wild looking levels and wicked creatures. You’ll want to make good use of the block button and wait for a chance to strike during battle. Going in weapons hot will eventually lead to a quick demise but this is all part of Abyss Odyssey’s overall design. This allows players to slowly gain XP and build up their character. Speaking of design, the levels are procedurally generated ensuring no two rooms or traps are the same and this includes enemy spawn points. Gamers have seen this before but it’s still quite unique and Ace Team has implemented this feature in fantastic fashion.
Enemy AI can be pretty challenging at times. If you get lazy, you simply won’t make it far. They will block and utilize counter attacks, plus use their numbers to overwhelm you. Luckily, there is an option for 2 player co-op. Going into the Abyss with a friend fighting at your side offers a great time. This game offers many hours of enjoyment and taking on this challenge in co-op mode just adds further value to the experience.
- Deep combat system that takes cues and mechanics from the fighting game genre. All playable characters have an expansive set of basic and special attacks unique to each of them, along with a host of universal mobility options and advanced tecnhiques. Practice your moves and develop new combos in the Training room, where you can select any character you’ve unlocked in game, including the enemies.
- Procedurally generated levels ensure no delve into the Abyss is the same. The rooms of the Abyss with their various twists and traps are randomized on every entry. Enemy spawns, equipment and items to be found, special characters to encounter, and more are different each and every time you play.
- Unlock up to three hero characters to level up, earn skills, and collect equipment, then customize it all to best suit your play style. Leveling up earns skills points to upgrade each hero’s unique skills a variety of ways, while various weapons and accessories can be equipped to grant them new abilities ranging from freezing opponents to cursing them.
- Play as any character you encounter in the game—even the bosses. Unleash your hero’s ultra attack to steal enemies’ souls, allowing you take their form. Discover brand new move sets and character styles as you capture over 30 enemies, each as complex and advanced as the three heroes.
- Work as a community to defeat the final boss together. When the collective community of Abyss Odyssey players defeats the final boss enough times, his mask breaks to reveal a new identity. Each time this is achieved, new content will be unlocked in game, including new enemies and other dynamics.
- Beautiful visuals inspired by Art Nouveau, showcasing a story rich in Chilean culture. The flowing lines and beautiful organic styling of Art Nouveau can be seen from the game’s UI to its character design. Set in late 19th-century Santiago, those characters and the game’s story also draw heavy inspiration from Chilean folklore and mythology.
- Play the campaign solo or with a friend in online or local cooperative multiplayer. A second player can drop in or drop out at any time to join you in your journey down the Abyss.
- Bonus versus mode allows up to 4 players to test their skills against each other. Fight it out in special arenas developed for free-for-all or team-based competitive multiplayer. Use any character you’ve unlocked in game, hero or enemy, for dozens of characters to choose from.
Abyss Odyssey offers some unique gaming elements in its latest action adventure title. The procedurally generated levels, artistic visuals and impressive combat system are the key elements that create such an enjoyable gaming experience.The additional local and online co-op make it an absolute bargain. It is a challenging yet unique 2D action adventure game that is not to be missed.