Another E3 has come and gone. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One showed off their new tech and upcoming software. While there was no official Nintendo E3 conference, there was still plenty of exciting news shown through their Nintendo Direct video. Now that the dust has settled, we want to take a look at our Top 10 Games of E3 2013.
1. Batman: Arkham Origins – You’ve hidden in the shadows and tied enemies to the ceiling beams in Batman: Arkham Asylum. You’ve leapt from the rooftops and put fear into the hearts of criminals in Batman: Arkham City. Now see how The Batman earned his reputation and started his one-man war on the criminals of Gotham City in Batman: Arkham Origins. Taking place before Batman: Arkham Asylum, this prequel will feature Batman meeting many of his greatest enemies for the very first time. It’s going to be less handshaking and more flying Batarangs and bullets. You’ll also see some new faces among Batman’s rogues gallery, including the creepy and incredibly malicious Black Mask.
- Showcases a young and unrefined Batman as he faces defining moment in early career as a crime fighter
- See story unfold as Batman transforms from a crime fighter into the Dark Knight
- Explore an expanded Gotham City before the rise of its most dangerous criminals and vile villains
2. Killer Instinct – KI is a fighting game that was developed by the talented Rare team and published by Midway and Nintendo. It was first released as an arcade game in 1994. For many Killer Instinct was an instant favorite at the arcades. It featured truly epic characters and mind blowing combos. We were then treated to a port on the Super Nintendo and later saw Killer Instinct Gold on the Nintendo 64. Xbox One surprised everyone at E3 revealing their next gen console would launch with a new entry in the Killer Instinct series. It looks gorgeous and more brutal than ever. Ultra combos are back and it will surely be a must have come launch.
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain – On June 10, 2013 at E3 2013, a fourth trailer was shown at the Microsoft press conference, demonstrating the new play mechanics, as well as the cast of characters. The development of an Xbox One version was also announced at the conference. On June 11, the standard version of the trailer were uploaded to Konami’s official YouTube channel, along with an extended director’s cut for mature audiences. The trailer confirmed the development of a PlayStation 4 version. Metal Gear Solid V will also include the next iteration of Metal Gear Online, now developed by Kojima Productions’ newly formed Los Angeles division.
4. Super Mario 3D World – The game follows a similar play style to Super Mario 3D Land, which combines the free-roaming gameplay of 3D Mario titles with the mechanics of 2D side-scrolling platforming games in the series. Four different playable characters are available in Super Mario 3D World: Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad. Similar to their appearances in Super Mario Bros. 2,each of the four characters possess unique abilities and control differently: Mario has average running speed and jump height; Luigi jumps higher and falls slower; Peach can jump and float through the air for a short period of time; and Toad runs the most quickly. The player can select any of the four characters to use before beginning a level, and up to four players may explore the same level simultaneously.
5. Titanfall – Set in a distant frontier torn apart by war, Titanfall gives players the freedom to switch between fighting as elite assault Pilots or agile, heavily armored, 24-foot tall Titans. The advanced warfare of tomorrow gives you the freedom to fight your way as both elite assault Pilot and agile, heavily armored Titan. Online gameplay is core to the Titanfall experience, as fast-paced multiplayer action is combined with heroic moments from traditional campaign mode.
6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 – This amazing sequel to LOS1 is set in an open, modern day world. Fans of the series will play as Dracula for the very first time and uncover the shocking secrets behind the “Lords of Shadow” saga! Dracula is resurrected once again, weakened and yearning for release from his immortal bonds. He is threatened by Satan, who has returned to bring about the apocalypse and ultimate revenge for his defeat all those centuries ago. Dracula must reacquire his powers of old and make a pact with Death in order to defeat the Devil, and gain his eternal rest. Also seeking Dracula’s destruction is the famed Belmont clan who has entered Dracula’s Castle. Here lies the truth behind their mysterious ancestry. The fight between good vs. evil comes to a close as Dracula is faced with his nemesis, Satan, and his ancestors’ unyielding quest for revenge.
7. Battlefield 4 – In Battlefield 4, gamers will experience huge environments, a playground of destruction, access to an arsenal of vehicles, the ability to direct squad mates, and much more in the first entry in the first-person shooter franchise to run on Frostbite 3 technology. The game once again aims to deliver a premier online multiplayer gaming experience while also offering an engaging and challenging story campaign.
8. Final Fantasy XV – Formerly known as Final Fantasy Versus, Final Fantasy XV is the story of a young king sworn to defend the last crystal in the world from the “hectic order” outside of his kingdom. It’s a fight between ancient and modern technology, and the struggle of one king to protect the old ways.
9. Destiny – From the creators of Halo and the publisher of Call of Duty comes Destiny. With an unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay, Destiny promises to deliver an incredible story set within a newly-imagined, always-connected universe filled with action and adventure. Everything changed with the arrival of the Traveler. It sparked a Golden Age when our civilization spanned the solar system … but it didn’t last. Something hit us, knocked us down. The survivors built a city beneath the Traveler, and have begun to explore our old worlds, only to find them filled with deadly foes. In Destiny, you are a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth, able to wield incredible power. Defend the City. Defeat our enemies. Reclaim all that we have lost.
10. – Killzone Shadow Fall – Set 30 years after the events of Killzone 3, life on the Helghast home planet Helghan has been left in ruins, however, the war still goes on. The Interplanetary Strategic Alliance (ISA) allows Helghast refugees to resettle on planet Vekta. The Vektan and Helghast factions are living in a city which is divided by a large security wall. The Helghast are fighting for their right to exist, while the Vektans are fighting for survival, leading to a “cold war” between Vektan and Helghast. This next Killzone installment is the debut title from Guerrilla Games for the PlayStation 4 platform.