A new Halo saga begins brought to you by the talented devs at 343. Gamers will once again command Master Chief as they embark on an incredible journey. You’ll fight with personal demons and some of the most daunting challenges Master Chief has ever faced. Halo 4 features a much darker and more personal story that reintroduces the heroic chief and his more human side. This fourth venture focuses heavily on the Master Chief and his relationship with Cortana.
The Halo series has sold more than 42 million games to date, generating nearly $3 billion in total franchise sales. This will be the first Halo game not under the creation from Bungie Studios. Many were quite worried that the devs at 343 might not be able to deliver or hurt the series. Let us go ahead and ease your minds. This is the best Halo since Combat Evolved. Yes, it’s really that good.
Halo 4 is set nearly five years after the events of Halo 3. Master Chief and Cortana venture into a mysterious new world and discover an overpowering ancient evil that threatens to annihilate mankind. With humanity’s fate hanging in the balance, the Master Chief and Cortana are thrust into a desperate mission against overwhelming odds to save mankind from the threat of imminent extinction. If that wasn’t enough Cortona needs saving as well. She is plagued by a condition that all UNSC AI constructs experience after they’ve been active for more than seven years. This is an intense struggle for not only Cortona but Master Chief as well. He’ll do anything to fix her condition and keep their bond alive. The campaign and storyline will amaze fans and gather much respect for the new creators over at 343. There was so much riding on this sequel and they pulled it off beautifully. It’s a Sci-Fi and FPS fan’s dream come true.
The gameplay is the core of the Halo series. This is what truly keeps gamers coming back and spending endless hours online. The good news the controls and overall feel are more solid than ever. The guns have incredible accuracy and each seem to deal significantly more damage. I found myself not having to get every last bullet in but actually finishing opponents before needing to reload. The DMR and Battle Rifle are fantastic and do a great job in steady hands. Needler fans will absolutely love it this go-around. It will devastate anything in its path in mere seconds. There is also some exciting new weaponry in Halo 4 such as the Rail Gun, Sticky Detonator and SAW. Another great thing about using these weapons is the sound each one makes. The audio in this game will really make your home theater or gaming headphones shine. The fidelity and overall quality is astounding.
Graphically Halo 4 is an absolute beast. The colors, shadows, lighting, cinematics and effects look brilliant. The presentation of the game is practically flawless. I’m amazed what 343 has been able to derive from the Xbox 360. It’s a beautiful game and the progression from Halo 3 is profound. Neil Davidge also delivers a fantastic soundtrack throughout the campaign. Speaking of, the campaign is paced wonderfully mixing up the action, story and cinematics to deliver one of the finest FPS experiences to date.
Halo 4 hasn’t forgot the popularity of vehicular mayhem. This time around gamers can even pilot the Mantis around. This is a towering 2-story robot wielding machine guns and a menacing foot stomp if you happen to get too close. You’ll quickly dispose of any persistent covenant or multiplayer foes. You are a force to be reckoned with this machine and if you happen to be on the other end…run. Gamers can also look forward to other fan favorites such as piloting the Ghost, Tank, Phantom and even the iconic Pelican.
Multiplayer for some is the sole reason for buying these games. That’s because Halo has developed into one of the finest FPS’s on the market. 343 has again knocked this section out of the park. It simply shines and the polish that each map and game-type exhibits is unbelievable. The level design is terrific and this is by far my favorite set of maps for any Halo to date. Each one offers a unique experience and the action is heavy, intense and exciting throughout each. Two of my favorites which always deliver constant action are Haven and Adrift. Theater and Forge mode make a welcome return. New additions to the MP scene is customizable load outs, tactical packages, support upgrades, ordinance drops and new armor abilities.
There are a total of ten multiplayer Maps in Halo 4. There will be an additional nine maps releasing in three separate downloadable map-packs in the future.
- The Reclaimer Saga Begins: Experience the dawn of an epic new Halo adventure, solo or split screen with up to three friends
- Go Beyond the Story: Halo 4’s Infinity Multiplayer features a vastly expanded suite of multiplayer modes, weapons, vehicles, armor abilities, a new loadout and Spartan-IV player progression system.
- Spartan Ops: Extend your campaign experience in a massive-scale adventure that builds upon the “Halo 4” Campaign. Receive a weekly series of cinematic episodes on Xbox LIVE followed by new game play missions, played solo or cooperatively with up to three friends – effectively delivering two campaign experiences in one game!*
- War Games: Battle the competition in fresh, immersive new game modes and strategies.
- Track your groups, stats and scores on HaloWaypoint.com
- Edge-of-your-seat Entertainment: Immerse yourself in Halo 4’s graphics, sound and epic game play including a mysterious and deadly new class of enemies*
- A powerful and riveting campaign. Brace for a thrilling, action-packed adventure deep inside a mysterious new world to confront the gravest threat humanity has ever faced. Harness a vast arsenal of futuristic human and alien weaponry, abilities, and vehicles as you step back into the boots of the Master Chief and wage a desperate war against an overpowering new nemesis and a deadly new class of technologically advanced foes —the Prometheans —that will challenge you to employ innovative new combat tactics.2
- Halo 4 delivers the series’ most dynamic and explosive campaign yet —whether you take up the fight solo or launch a cooperative assault with up to four players over Xbox LIVE.
- Birth of your Spartan: Infinity. The hub of the “Halo 4” multiplayer experience is the UNSC Infinity —the largest starship in the UNSC fleet that serves as the center of your Spartan career. Here, you’ll build your custom Spartan-IV super soldier and progress your multiplayer career across all “Halo 4” competitive and cooperative game modes. As you advance your Spartan career aboard the largest starship in the UNSC fleet, your multiplayer experience will be embedded in the fiction of “Halo” like never before, where your progress and game choices affect your appearance, your arsenal and your role on the battlefield.
343 has accomplished the impossible and delivered the greatest Halo experience on their first outing with the series. The campaign is absolutely thrilling while the multiplayer scene has been executed to near perfection. This leaves me in high anticipation for the future of the Halo series and what 343 will bring to the table next.
Review Rating 10/10
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Developer: 343 Industries
$59.99 Standard Edition
$99.99 Limited Edition