Today at BootHammer we are breathing new life into our Alienware Aurora R3. A EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SuperClocked will be replacing the dual Nvidia 450 GTS’s and we will also be installing the Dell 875 watt power supply upgrade for the R3.
Prior to making the purchase we spent a lot of time online researching different cards and viewing countless benchmarks and comparisons. Our mission was to find the midrange king and best bang for buck within this category. High end cards can be had for just under $500, so we wanted to aim for half that price.
Our goal was to hit 1080p configured on ultra settings for most games. A few years ago this wasn’t possible on midrange cards but things have changed. The first card that kept catching our eye was the Sapphire Radeon R9 280X. It was right at the $300 mark but offered some impressive performance. It also ran quite hot though and we spotted more threads on stability issues than we cared for.
We finally settled on the GTX 760. Currently it can be purchased for $240. At this price it offers unheard of performance. It pulls less power than most of the competition and can be overclocked while remaining nice and stable. Here is a Crysis 3 benchmark showing the GTX 760 running neck to neck with the R9 280x. (Benchmark conducted by Hexus)
Tomb Raider is another fantastic game that can really push your PC rig when maxed out. The game looks gorgeous and ran at an average of 60fps during the in-game benchmark while set at the Ultra Settings. If the effort and time is put in to carefully overclock the GTX 760, it has even been shown to exceed the performance of a GTX 680. Amazing ability for half the price.
- EVGA ACX COOLER – With a 40% increase in heatsink volume, the EVGA ACX is more efficient at dissipating heat, allowing for 15% lower GPU temperatures. A reinforcement baseplate maintains a straight PCB, and helps lower mosfet temperatures by 7% and memory by 15%. Even the fan blades are of the highest quality: with a 700% increase in strength, and 25% lower weight when compared to competitors. This makes the fans 20% more efficient by requiring lower power levels. EVGA is also using double ball bearing fans which offer a 12 year lifespan, four times longer when compared to competitors!
- KEPLER GPU ARCHITECTURE – NVIDIA’s Kepler GPU architecture has been designed from the ground up not only for maximum performance in the latest DirectX 11 games, but also for optimal performance per watt. The new SMX streaming multiprocessor is twice as efficient as the prior generation, and the new geometry engine draws triangles twice as fast. The result is world-class performance and the highest image quality in an elegant, power-efficient graphics card.
- NVIDIA GPU BOOST 2.0 – This brand-new technology allows gamers to push PC performance to the maximum with precise controls. GPU Boost 2.0 intelligently monitors work with advanced controls – like GPU temperature target, overclocking, and overvoltage – to ensure the GPU works at the ultimate performance.
- NVIDIA PHYSX TECHNOLOGY – Full support for NVIDIA PhysX technology, which enables a new class of physical gaming interaction for a more dynamic GeForce experience.
- NVIDIA ADAPTIVE VERTICAL SYNC – Nothing is more distracting than framerate stuttering and screen tearing. The first tends to occur when framerates are low, the second when framerates are high. Adaptive V-Sync is a smarter way to render frames. At high framerates, V-sync is enabled to eliminate tearing; at low framerates, it’s disabled to minimize stuttering. It gets rid of distractions so you can get on with gaming.
- NVIDIA SURROUND WITH UP TO FOUR MONITORS – Nothing is as breathtaking as playing your favorite games across three monitors. At 5760 x 1080, the expanded field of view fully engages your peripheral vision and provides for the most immersive experience in racing and flight simulators. Add a fourth display to keep tabs on chat, email, or web while you are gaming.
The EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SuperClocked is one heck of a card. At $240, it delivers fantastic performance out of the box and can be overclocked even further while retaining great stability. Its price point and horsepower make this video card our choice for the best bang for your buck for summer 2014.